Pages

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Makeovers and Movies


Thursday Laurie and I went to Origins and had makeovers. The results were stunning. She looked beautiful. I looked like a hooker. Had I chosen to walk down San Pedro Avenue I would have likely been arrested, or at the very least run out of town by the competition.... Seriously. Why do all makeover artists insist on rimming my eyes, inside and out, with an entire stick of black eyeliner? I am not a raccoon! Add the gold and green shimmering eye shadow, bright coral lipstick and too rosy blush to my deathly pale skin and well, you can imagine the look. I haven't worn that much makeup since I was a teenager. I should have taken a picture but I really didn't want that particular look frozen in time, I have enough embarrassing looks captured on film for posterity. If you've never seen my "Elvira" phase then you don't know what you're missing......

Next, because we had errands to run I was forced to venture out into public with a face full of "lady of the night" makeup. It was 3:00 pm in the afternoon. I'm sure I garnered some strange looks at the frame shop and Target. Once we arrived home I set about wiping off some of the eyeliner and extra shimmer, but I was only mildly successful since I did not have time to start from scratch and redo all of my makeup before "Girls' Night Out". Then when I was almost ready I noticed a fresh crop of gray hair revealed by the harsh bathroom lighting, and as we all know that means a round of painful plucking. The LAST thing I wanted was to look like an old hooker, if I'm going to sport that look I'd at least like to appear young.

Because of my last minute plucking we were a little late arriving at Jeannie's but once there we quickly loaded into her husband's convertible and zoomed off to eat dinner. We ate an assortment of yummy food and desserts and talked about books, movies, men and faith. Then we left and cruised down Stoneoak with the top down, hair blowing in the wind, blasting 80s music all the way. Jeannie and Laurie were singing and car dancing to "Love Shack" because they are fun and carefree, I AM NOT. As you know I am neurotic and awkward and never dance in public, even in the car..... I did allow myself to enjoy the music and tried to sing along but I was very much aware of the fact that I looked like an old hooker so it was difficult for me to relax, especially with "Crazy Love" cranked up on the radio. We were quickly brought back to reality when Jeannie announced that she needed to purchase swim diapers before morning so off we drove to Walgreens. While she went inside Laurie and I sat in the convertible listening to music. I was a little paranoid that we would be carjacked because I forgot I was on the north side. I guess I'm used to living downtown; I would NEVER sit in a convertible with the top down and the keys in the ignition next to Puffin' Paul's Smoke Shop in my neighborhood!

We ended the night with a double feature in Jeannie's home cinema. All snuggled up with blankies in the soft, buttery leather recliners laughing at the antics of Ben Stiller in "Along Came Polly" and having our hearts warmed by Ryan Gosling in "Lars and the Real Girl". We laughed and cried (well, I cried) and then faced reality when the clock struck 2:00 am. By the time we made it home and fell asleep it was 3:00 am. Today I feel and look old from lack of sleep and 2 days later I am STILL recovering, but getting makeovers, hanging with fun girlfriends, reminiscing about our youth and watching funny movies was a great way to spend a few vacation days, black eyeliner and all.