Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Shiny Silver Dress

I just read a short article about Sarah Jessica Parker's fashion misfortune last week. It appears the dress she wore to her movie premier had been worn by a socialite just three weeks before. Apparently this is a big deal. A celebrity of her status is supposed to be the first person photographed in a dress, not the second.... It's a huge scandal. People are embarrassed. People are making accusations. People are disappointed. People are completely focused on a shiny, silver dress.

Wow.

Since I'm obviously not a fashionista it is rather difficult for me to comprehend the magnitude of this problem, especially when I contrast it with the struggles of friends whose annual salary is less than the cost of the dress in this fashion scandal. This week alone I had 3 different women share their struggles with me. They were all crying. They were all stressed. They were all worried. They work long hours. They work hard and yet they struggle to survive. They struggle to put food on the table for their children. They make too much money for food stamps but not enough for HEB. But they fight. And even though they have made choices I will never understand, I admire them. I admire them for not giving up. I admire them for their determination. I admire them for digging in their heels and deciding that they will do whatever it takes.

But admiring them is not enough. How do I help them? Vowing to live a life of poverty will not meet their needs. And giving money today will not necessarily meet their needs tomorrow. I do offer emotional support. I do offer community resources designed to meet their physical needs. I do what I can but then I go home to my nice apartment and full refrigerator. And I struggle to reconcile my small luxuries with their very real poverty. And I don't know how to not feel guilty for some of my material blessings.

I know others who struggle with this too. I just had this conversation a few weeks ago. I just had it again last night. Is it okay to enjoy financial blessings? It is okay to drive a nice car or live in a nice house? Is it okay to spend money on art? Is it okay to buy expensive clothes or new furniture? Why do I get to live without the burden of poverty when others will never find their way out of it?

Perhaps in an effort to lessen my guilt I sometimes focus on those who wear shiny, silver dresses. It's easy to judge them for the things I deem excessive. It's easy to be pious. It's easy to believe that I would not choose to live their way or care about frivolous things when it isn't even an option for me. But what if it becomes an option? What if I inherit a small fortune? What if I win the lottery? Would I be willing to give away the extra cash to help those who are less fortunate? Would I really choose to live as I do now, clipping coupons or forgoing my wants to afford my needs? The reality is that I would adjust very quickly to a higher income level. We ALL would. I'm not sure I would choose to give as sacrificially as the widow in Jesus' story. And that breaks my heart because I want to care more about people than I do about shiny, silver dresses.