Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

This Way Sideways


Elevator at my dad's doctor's office.  
I keep trying to go up, but somehow keep going sideways.  It is more than a little disorienting.  Anyone else or is it just me? 

Life is like that sometimes, or most of the time..... Ha.  When you are young you dream, make plans, try really hard to attain goals, and then you turn old.  You reach the middle of your life and you begin to reevaluate.  You recognize that some of your childish dreams are better left unfulfilled, in fact, you THANK GOD that they are!  You grieve other unfulfilled dreams and wonder how your life went sideways.

Aw, but if you are a person of faith, you look a little more critically and the scales fall from your eyes and you realize that God directed your sideways-steps, because even though the life you live is different than the life you imagined, it still has beauty, and grace, and healing, and hope You learn to count it all joy.  You persevere and grieve the dead or dying dreams and, voila! you start dreaming new ones.

That is where I find myself with my 50th birthday looming.  I am excited to enter a new decade, but determined to do it with new dreams.  My prayers have changed from whining and grieving to thanking God for where he has brought me, and asking him to show me what HE imagined for my life.  His imagination is so much better than mine!  He may still fulfill some of my old dreams, and I am TOTALLY fine with that, but if not it is okay.  I am falling into grace and trusting that he knows exactly what he is doing, even though he won't tell me, which doesn't drive me out of my ever-loving mind AT ALL. 😳

Has God resurrected one or some of your old dreams or planted new ones in your heart?  Here's to hoping that he will leave us flabbergasted and full of awe as he directs our steps toward things we would never have even thought possible in our wildest dreams.  He is on the move in the lives of so many people and it never ceases to amaze me.  DREAM BIG and then hang on, because even if you end up going sideways, as long as God is the pilot it will be a thrilling ride!