Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

Carryon Baggage

14 years ago I embarked upon my first overseas adventure, a trip that would change my life by igniting a passion for all things European. As my launch date approached, I stayed busy packing, weighing, repacking and wearing my backpack around the house. I'm sure it took every ounce of self-control for my parents to keep from bursting into hoots of laughter as I traipsed around with 60 pounds of turquoise nylon strapped to my back. I was determined to "train" for my big adventure and completely unwilling to part with anything on my list. I was landing on foreign soil after all and I was not inclined to use German toothpaste, Austrian shampoo or Czech deodorant!

Since that most excellent adventure I have traveled abroad many times and experience has taught me that it is always better to pack less not more. Everything must fit into the overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of me, especially if I have to haul it around on my aging, decrepit back! And I have been rewarded by breezing to the front of the customs' line right past the huge crowds of people watching the carousel of luggage in a frenzied state, trying to figure out which one of the 312 black suitcases is theirs..... Plus instead of using my precious moola on a shiny cart to hold all of my cargo, I get to spend it on a $6.00 airport soda. Woo-hoo!

Through the years I have also pared down my other "baggage", if you know what I mean... Downsizing has definite advantages. Things are simpler and my perspective is better, and even when life comes at me fast or circumstances are painful I handle them more graciously than I used to. I used to hit everyone in the face with all of my bags, and while I probably still do, at least the bags are lighter now and the injuries no longer life threatening!

While I have gained freedom by disposing of so much junk, it doesn't mean that I don't need help carrying my load periodically. If you are "lucky" enough to really know me let me apologize in advance, because you may be required to do some heavy lifting from time to time, especially when I am exhausted and unable to figure out how to keep moving forward. But, I am a firmly committed "carryon baggage girl" so most of the time I'll carry my stuff on my back, which frees my arms to help carry your stuff if you need me to.