Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

Diary of a Staycation~Days 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9

Day 5~Nothing, and it was blissful. I slept, watched movies, ate, did some laundry. Then I vacuumed and took another nap......or two!

Day 6~It's my birthday, it's my birthday!!!! Oops, internal "plumbing" problems didn't seem to care that it was MY special day. All those visits to the bathroom interrupted my naps! Bummer. But I did manage to squeeze in a movie (District 9) and I received a lot of birthday phone calls.

By 5:30 pm I was better and my parents arrived to treat me to dinner at Tip Top Cafe where my dad and I indulged in Chicken Fried Steak with cream gravy, plumbing be damned! Then we drove around Woodlawn Lake and surprised Serina, Gigi and Cameron as they were eating dinner on their porch. Finally we returned to my apartment and I opened a few presents before they left and I took another nap. Who knew staycations were so exhausting?! ;-)

Day 7~April Food's Day dawned a little too early for me and I made Zeus go back to sleep until 10:00 am, no joke. I didn't have anyone to fool, but Laurie pulled a great prank on her kids. She made blue pancakes for breakfast and told them that her flour must have been moldy, they were completely grossed out!

At noon Serina, Gigi and I met at Bubblehead Tea and enjoyed green tea smoothies. WOW, I had NO idea they would be so good. If you go, try the mango smoothie, you won't be disappointed. We'll definitely be going back for more. Next we made our way to La Frite and were joined by a new friend, Erin. We all enjoyed food, fellowship AND dessert (chocolate tarte) and left quite satisfied. It was a nice, relaxing day.

Day 8~Good Friday was restful as well. I took Zeus for a short walk and then watched a movie before, you guessed it - taking a nap! My nephews arrived at 3:30 pm for a sleepover and we headed to the video store and Blockbuster to stock up on junk food and movies. I made a quick detour to pick up my birthday gift from Lane so I could enjoy it over the weekend. (Thanks Lane, I love it!!) And then I cooked frozen pizzas for the boys and introduced them to Ghostbusters. We laughed and I danced a silly dance to the theme song before launching into "All The Single Ladies" in a chipmunks voice, which completely scandalized my nephews. It was WELL worth my own humiliation to see the looks on their faces!

We finished the night by watching "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" and I decided that spray-on shoes are a pretty good idea. By that time I was exhausted because I didn't get my 3rd afternoon nap so I went to sleep. The boys stayed up ALL night watching infomercials and "Lord of the Rings". I remember when I was young enough to recover from an all-nighter, it was a long time ago...

Day 9~Saturday morning we visited Bistro Bakery and picked up fresh eclairs, donut holes and kolaches to eat at the park. Zeus happily sniffed every blade of grass while the boys devoured the food and we enjoyed the cool morning breeze. We went home to gather their belongings and then I stopped by Pasha to pick up some Persian food for my brother and his family. My sister-in-law grew up eating Schwarma in The Netherlands and missed it so I was happy to surprise her with a taste of her childhood.

The evening rolled around and I enjoyed a great movie and Indian food with one of the funniest people I know. It hit the spot, every single spot I have! For those of you who haven't seen "Crazy Heart" let me just say that it was a really touching movie. I was completely engrossed in the story and was really rooting for the characters. The themes of grace and redemption were powerful and the acting was stellar.

All in all I enjoyed rest and relaxation mixed with fun and fellowship and I feel good!