Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Daihatsus, Dumptrucks & Electric Cars

Many adults around my age look back on their childhood and chuckle at the cars their parents drove. Huge Buicks, ugly station wagons, Pintos.......UGLY, UGLY, UGLY! But if there were a contest in embarrassing cars of our youth, I would certainly win HANDS DOWN. To be fair, let me clarify: my parents drove some normal cars, like the Subaru station wagon, the Cadillac El Dorado and the Oldsmobile '88, but believe me when I tell you there were some humdingers.

Like this lovely little Japanese import - the miniature Daihatsu:


















Or the bane of my 15th year, the dump truck, complete with a wooden bed, only our model was a disgusting shade of green resembling poo.....More on this little gem later in a post about THE most embarrassing moments in my life!



















And I can't forget the electric car. My parents were proud owners of one of the earliest models, a "City Car" to be exact, but ours was white.....and it resembled a cheese wedge crawling down the street, (I'm pretty sure it couldn't go faster than 40-50 mph). Of course, we also had to stop and charge it every few hours, or during a rain storm......
























There was also a Triumph motorcycle with a white side car, a motor home, a wench truck (similar to a tow truck but the wench pole is bigger), a miniature yellow Honda, and the multi-colored and rusting "to-do" truck, aptly named because there was so much work "to-do" on it.....Ugh, told you I would win!