Pages

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tripped Up

There are many things in life that have "tripped me up" over the years, but sadly nothing so much as my own clumsiness. So guess what I did today? Yes folks, I tripped.............going UP the stairs. Now I would LOVE to place blame on my heels and extra long pants, but that wouldn't be fair. The honest, embarrassing truth is that I'm a klutz, plain and simple. And if you've spent much time with me at all, then you probably recall seeing me stumble while trying to do something as complicated as say, walking, which I've only been doing for about 38 years. I'm really hoping my walking skills improve with age.

Now, I've also been known to trip going DOWN the stairs. When I was 22 I was leaving the office in a hurry and once in the stairwell I tripped and fell down the last 5 or 6 stairs, breaking my leg and damaging my knee in the process. To this day my knee still bothers me and my leg still aches when the weather gets funky. You've probably noticed me rubbing my knee and randomly commenting on the impending rain I'm sure is coming because my aching tibia told me so.

As shocking as this may sound, I tend to be a cynic..... That's one reason I'm usually so careful going up and down the stairs in my apartment. I'm convinced that one day I will trip and fall and lie dying in a crumbled heap on my floor and none of my family or friends will realize that I'm down for the count. Of course, I know that my co-workers would notice my absence so there is a slight chance I would be found before making my way to the pearly gates. But just in case I would hope that if you don't hear from me for a few days you would assume I have tripped, again, and desperately need your assistance!

But seriously, as I tripped on the stairs today I started thinking about all the other ways I've tripped on life's journey. The countless times I've hurt people in my clumsy attempts to love them are cringe-worthy. Same with my failed attempts at vulnerability and intimacy. And worse, the thousands of times I've tripped while trying to stay on the narrow road of my faith. I know I'll make it to the finish line but I fear I will be limping instead of running! Thankfully God's grace is abundant for one like me and I know that when I trip and fall I am not alone, He is still with me and will help me get back on my feet again. I may have a few bumps and bruises but I will persevere and hopefully grow a little wiser in the process. I'm so thankful for God's grace in the midst of my clumsiness and I'm thankful for family and friends who help pick me up when I've tripped yet again!