Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Purple Elephant Ears

On a warm, December Saturday in South Texas a mixed group of at least 20 ladies gathered at "Painting with a Twist" to celebrate the birthdays of a few friends. We signed up to paint a replica of a famous Van Gogh painting.

Here's a look at the beautiful original:
"Irises in a Vase" by Van Gogh

Here's a look at the replica used at Painting with a Twist:
Replica by Painting with a Twist

The set-up was nice.  A cute little studio with friendly instructors, easels, aprons and large, blank canvases.  Yikes.  It's a good thing there was an abundance of wine, cheese and chocolate! 

How in the world was I, a non-visual artist going to paint something that even came close to resembling that?  The short answer?  I wasn't.  Sigh.  Let me say it another way, I WILL NOT be quitting my day job!  All of the ladies did a great job, or at least produced something much more palatable than my "beautiful disaster".  But you know what, I had a blast, we ALL did.  Lots of laughter and joy, and hey, I now have my white elephant gift for this year!    

My "masterpiece", or rather proof of my artistic failings!
"Purple Elephant Ears"