Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Jet Lag

Lately I have been SO tired that all I can manage is sleep and sometimes a little work.  There are only 2 things that make me this tired: Mononucleosis and jet lag.

Of the two I prefer jet lag.

Honestly, if I have to be this tired, it should be for a good reason!It's not that I love jet lag in and of itself. No, I don't like having my internal clock turned topsy-turvy.  It's what jet lag represents to me that I love.  I'm fortunate because when I travel it's for pleasure.  For a few weeks, excitement and adventure replace my mundane, daily life.
  • I experience exotic adventures
  • Listen to a symphony of foreign languages
  • Taste a variety of new foods - some good, some bad but all memorable!
  • Eat my weight in pistachio GELATO - if I'm anywhere in the vicinity of Italy that is
  • Try to figure out how to flush the toilets, even those award winning loos in England.......
  • Suspiciously enter a futuristic, self-cleaning WC in Paris before exiting in awe
  • Curse as I attempt to use a squatty potty without needing to take a shower after...ugh
  • Ride miles and miles on planes, trains and automobiles (and metros, tubes, subways and boats!) on my way to new destinations
  • Walk in the footsteps of HISTORY
  • Gaze upon priceless works of art: Mona Lisa, Statue of David, Van Goghs, Monets, Picassos, Whistlers, etc...
  • Gape at fascinating architecture - from the ancient Acropolis to the modern Eye of London
Those are just a few of the things afforded to me by jet lag.  At this juncture in my life I'm thrilled that I have indulged my adventurous side and traveled the world, even if I'm often alone, with little money and exhausted from working an extra job to pay for the privilege! I leave with a broader knowledge of other cultures and the history that shaped them, a deeper understanding of the people who live in those cultures and a lifetime of memories that make me smile and sigh contentedly.   Traveling has become a passion for me and every last minute has been worth the adventure.  Here's to hoping for many more adventures in the years to come!